~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The 10th Anniversary of 40on2

Gold Wing Sunset

Ten years ago today Forty Years On Two Wheels sprung to life from the flotsam and jetsam of motorcycle stories and thoughts rattling around in my head.   Something past 400 blog entries have been made, some of them good, and there are a handful of which I'm really proud.  I only rarely used anything but my own writing and photos; for good or ill I want the blog to be a reflection of who I am as a motorcycle enthusiast.

I am in my in my 48th year of riding and I confess that I'm getting a little burned out.  During the past several years bikes have come and gone from my garage, I believe in part because I thought another bike might buy me some new enthusiasm.   Out of that parade-of-bikes-through-my-garage situation I have discovered, as my friend Simon, over in the UK, wrote about himself at one point "Somewhere along the way I went from enthusiastic motorcyclist to motorcycle enthusiast."  I love nearly all things motorcycle, riding is only a part of that.  Simon stopped riding for a few years after a bad crash and shifted his focus to photography of bikes but he's been back for a year or three now, first on Triumph and now on one of those new Honda 750's with the dual clutch transmission.  Bike fever might go into remission but you're never really over it.

For what it's worth, I sold the Gold Wing a couple of weeks ago.  It seemed like the time to do that as the bike was sitting too much, only accumulating an additional 3000 miles in the eleven months I owned it.  My timing must have been right in deciding to sell the Wing because after only a week on Craig's List only one guy contacted me, came to look at it, brought a fat envelope of $100 bills, and rode the Wing away.

What's next for for me bike-wise after 48 years, and for Forty Years On Two Wheels after 10 years?  I dunno.  No rush.

9 comments:

bob skoot said...

Doug:

1st: --> CONGRATS on your 10th Anniversary

I also find myself riding less around town but can't wait to get onto the open road. There is just too much risk in the City and here, bikes are not respected. I do not have a network of riding friends and I don't always enjoy riding by myself, thus my quest to meet others on the road.

lately I have been enjoying the radio in air conditioned comfort for my commutes to work. It is also easier/safer to carry your camera equipment in the trunk.

There's a time to ride and a time to NOT. This year is not a riding year for me either but I plan to be close to you in September

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Canajun said...

Only a couple of years behind you, with 45 years of riding, and I can feel the passion waning a bit as well. While I still love to ride more and more I'm finding that other priorities are taking precedent whereas in the past that would never be the case. I guess it's just hard to maintain a passion for that long with any kind of intensity.

Trobairitz said...

Beautiful photo and congrats on 10 years on the blog. I've only done 6.5 years and some days I'm burt out on it, I can image how you feel after 10 years.

Keep us posted if you decide on getting another bike. Maybe something smaller for puttering around closer to home.

Arizona Harley Dude said...

Sorry to hear the Wing left, but understand the reasoning. I have only ridden 9800 miles in the last year and admit to wondering if I should just sell the bike and move on, but not really ready for that yet. At least when it is in the garage I CAN go ride when/if I want to.

Congratulations on the 10 years of blogging!

Doug Klassen said...

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Bob, if you make it within striking distance of Phoenix give me a holler and maybe we can meet up.

AZHD, I think if I'd ridden 9800 miles in the last year I might have kept the Wing. Right now my thought is that I'll buy something that I can ride when the urge strikes but doesn't leave me feeling pang$ of guilt when it sits too long. A vintage bike of some sort might do the trick. An old airhead Beemer would be cool.

Theo van der Meulen said...

Doug, congratulations on 10 years of blogging. I only took up riding 4 years ago (at age 65) and having ridden 80,000 km in that 4 years I find myself regretting not starting earlier and hoping like hell I can still climb on a bike for a few more good years.
I have followed your blog, and enjoyed it, throughout those 5 years and for purely selfish reasons I hope you find some inspiration and another bike and continue your ramblings. Good luck!

rick said...

Congrats! I have often said that the loving all things motorcycles is a curse.

Curt Carter said...

Doug,

Wow, 10 years of blogging and 48 years of riding...those are quite the accomplishments. Congratulations!

Here's to the next 10 years. Ride safe and enjoy!

Cheers,
Curt

Live Free. Ride Hard. Be Happy.

rick said...

Congratulations! I have enjoyed your thoughts shared here.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

Loading...

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison