~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Saturday, March 09, 2013

Perseverance

per·se·ver·ance
[pur-suh-veer-uhns] noun
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.


We all get discouraged about lots of things.  Jobs, health, relationships, can all turn sour and leave us wishing we'd been born rich and smart instead of just handsome. And the vicissitudes of life can drag us away from motorcycling too, some are even forced by fate to give it up.   Some, when their love of riding is threatened, refuse to go quietly.

I was walking into a Fry's Electronics store the other day when I spotted a shiny Kawasaki KLR 650 parked in a handicapped spot.  Odd.  Then as I got closer I could see that it was a very clean side hack rig.  This was no typical bailing wire and duct tape KLR mod.

Looking closer there was indeed a handicap license plate on it.  Cool.  I whipped out my cell phone and snapped some pics.   One of the best things in motorcycling is when people love to ride and refuse to give up just because life dealt them a bad hand.

The KLR still had standard controls on it so I'll assume the rider still has some mobility or maybe the hack is set up to haul a partner's wheel chair. Regardless, somebody or two somebodies, are not quitters.  Whomever you are, I salute you!




4 comments:

Gary France said...

That is very cool indeed. We would all like to think we will be able to ride forever, but that sad day will come when our eyesight is so bad, balance of so off, reactions are too slow, or joints are too weak for us to no longer ride. Anything we can do to delay that day is a good things and a hack like this, might just help some. I say Bravo! to the rider.

mq01 said...

:) LOVE!!!

bob skoot said...

Doug:

that's a nice looking Hack. It does not appear to have a seat in the sidecar, perhaps it was for carrying a wheelchair for the rider ?

What did you buy in Fry's ?

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Doug said...

Bob, I wish I'd snapped a couple of more pictures and got more detail on the hack. Too late now!

I wasn't looking for anything too exciting at Fry's. They have a large magazine rack and the March issue of Flying Models Magazine used a couple of my model airplane photos so I was trying to get a copy for my archives.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison