~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Riding The Nikon D600



I do miss having a bike in the garage, I feel a little bit like I've walked out the front door with no pants on...something doesn't feel right.  The last time I went any real stretch without a bike was back in 2002.   Total time without 2 wheels was perhaps 7 or 8 months but that was more about health issues than lack of wanting to ride.


Lo these many years later I feel great but the poor V-Strom wasn't getting ridden much.  What to make of that?  There is little complain about with the V-Strom 1000, I had no issue with the bike.   Honestly, I think I'm a little burned out right now, a little uninspired about riding and writing, so I opted to blow most of the money from the V-Strom on a new camera.  People who know me well were actually alarmed when they heard the news.  "I can't picture you without a bike" was something I heard more than once.

As I noted in an earlier blog post, I've owned some of the best bikes in the world but have not made that same leap of quality in cameras.   It was time. 


So above is my now empty bike parking spot in the garage filled with a Nikon D600 equipped with a Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 lens.  That's not Nikon's very best gear -- I haven't won the lotto -- bit it's very nice stuff.  I'm not likely to upgrade the camera for sometime to come.   I know I say that about bikes but oddly enough I do tend to keep cameras around a while by comparison.  My Nikon D90 dated to 2008, ancient by digital camera standards.


Ironically, the photo above of the Nikon was taken with my Olympus E-PL1, also a very nice camera that I like a lot but it's not in the Nikon's league.  I'll spare you the geek technical reasons why, suffice to say that "size matters" when it comes to DSLR camera sensors as does dynamic range and the ability of the camera to deal with extremes of exposure like bright chrome on a black bike.  There, see.  There's my justification. 

Now I'm putting together a list of events and places I want to visit and photograph, some are motorcycle oriented, some are not.   And Lord willing there will be another motorcycle in the garage and that probably before 2013 is done.  Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Canajun said...

I love the picture and am looking forward to some great photography over the coming year. But I somehow don't think it will be that long before there are 2 wheels once again in your garage. (I know, I've been there....)

Trobairitz said...

I can't imagine hubby being bikeless - he'd get grumpy, but you seem to be handling it well.

I am looking forward to seeing some pics from the Nikon. They are such great cameras and I am sure you'll find just the right subject/landscape for a beautiful photo.

bob skoot said...

Doug:

that is some serious camera equipment but I am not so sure about not having a bike around.

Now you will be able to produce gallery quality images and maybe get to play around with Photoshop during your non-riding time

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

mq01 said...

hmmm, well, i can relate, been a little bored here too. enjoy the change in focus (hehe). sometimes we all need some slightly adjusted pixelation. ;)

ps, lol, sorry, couldnt resist...
love the pic btw!

Doug said...

Thanks for the comments, folks. Still no huge urge to rush out and buy a replacement bike so I guess my plan is working.

I took the new camera out two weeks ago and shot the annual "old timer" R/C model airplane contest that I go to each January. Looks like two, maybe three of the pics I shot will be used by a couple of national model airplane magazines. Now if the bike magazines would just take notice of my bike pics!

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison