~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Joy Of Motorcycles

My buddy Keith, age 65, and after 40 years away from motorcycles,
re-discovering life on a Honda VFR 750
"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau.
 
Finding joy in a day starts with being willing to find it and a great deal of finding joy in a day is tied to enthusiasm.  When enthusiasm for at least one good thing in our life is gone, joy is hard to come by. 

I have certain things in my life that make me smile -- my dog, photography, a motorcycle ride.  I turn to those things when I feel myself being dragged down; I see them as gifts from God to be used for my own health and wellbeing and to restore my sense of joy and purpose, which has been hard pressed of late.


Some people, beset by life's problems, give up the desire to see the smile on another's face, the humor in a story, the power of a warm handshake, the embrace of a friend, the innocence of a child or puppy, and then joy slips from their life.  Keeping joy in one's day starts with being open to finding it.  That's a lesson I've had to re-learn more than once, so my life remains a work in progress.

8 comments:

Raftnn said...

Well said.

Trobairitz said...

I think it is important to find the joy in life, whether it be in motorcycling, photography, blogging, or whatever makes you happy.

Life needs to be about more than work and obligations. Life needs to be about living.

bobskoot said...

Doug

I sense that you need a bit of cheering up. Maybe you need a change from routine and do something different. Be bold, take a chance, think outside the box, eat a box of chocolate

we love you . . .

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

mq01 said...

:( sigh...you too? bob's right, we love you. cheer up. get some dark chocolate and coffee, give grommit a scratch, grab your camera, and go for a ride. :)

Doug said...

Thanks as always for the comments, gang.

Bob & MQ, your warm words are appreciated. I wouldn't say that I need cheering up but I was feeling a bit introspective when I wrote that blog post. The last 12 months have been a bit tumultuous for me as once again I find myself single and that does cause one to ponder the nature of life, relationships, and from whence comes joy.

Webster World said...

Doug, Thank you for up lifting me. That is what I needed to be reminded of. Sorry to here of what you have been through. I have to remind my self of what Scarlet O'Hara once said."There is always tomorrow.!" I watch mt grandson 2 days a week he keeps this 60 plus old man young. Then I revert....but after reading what you have writen I know I've got to be more positive stop mopping and get off my ass. So do be positive my brother God is there for us all.

(No Name) said...

motorcycle's all I got

I will enjoy it

VStar Lady said...

Life is a work in progress ... Remember to stop and play!

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison