~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Saturday Night Ride

Y2K Jet Turbine bike.  Sounds like a jet, smells like a jet, will empty your piggy bank like a jet.
When my buddy Keith was here our wanderings took us up to Scottsdale, AZ for the weekly car / bike gathering that takes place at the Pavilions Shopping Center.  It's not your typical gathering in that it's been going on for more than twenty years now and attracts sometimes a couple of hundred vehicles of all types.  Here's brief selection of what we saw during our stop there:

At the opposite end of the motorcycle spectrum, a Ural side car rig who's owner has a sense of humor.

A Factory Five Cobra Daytona Coupe.  The original Daytona Coupe has long been one of my favorite cars.

A well used Moto Guzzi 850.  Few bikes manage to look more old than an old Moto Guzzi.

If you can't be on a bike, this is a very classy ride for a Saturday night.

A little slice of motorcycle life.  Ah to be young again!

6 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Great photos, those black and whites are superb.

Gary France said...

Lovely mixture of bikes and cars. Why limit yourself to one, if you can see both on show together. I would love to see that jet bike running. The Cobra Daytona Coupe is very nice. My own Cobra Roadster replica is a Factory Five and last year I was lucky enough to go on a tour of their factory in Wareham, MA.

mq01 said...

young or not so young, those are all really great rides! :) happy thanksgiving doug!

Jac Brown said...

As Trobairitz says, great photos, especially the black and whites. I never even remember to try it in black and white.

As for old Guzzi's looking old, another bike in that class is my beloved KLR. Nothing says 80's like the "Fine Young Cannibals" and a square headlight.

Finally, may I suggest an alternat caption for your last picture. "Ah, to be young and bald again."

Doug said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. My few pictures don't even begin to do the weekly Pavilions gathering, justice. Parked next to the jet bike was a new Lamborghini, one of two or three there that night along with rat rods, Harleys, etc. etc. There was even a new Fiat 500, Jac. Well worth the 50 mile ride up there to see it all.

George Ferreira said...

Where's the video of the Jet Turbine bike? I would love to hear it spooling up.
Love the Guzzi.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison