~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Magma Hotel

The Magma Hotel.  Superior, AZ.  2005
I've been rummaging through my old photos lately since I don't feel much like writing.  This shot from 2005, my late, great Aprilia Caponord in the picture.  I never should have sold that one.

The towns of Globe, Miami, and Superior, Arizona were once thriving copper mining towns but time, markets, and who knows what have left them only shells of what they once were.  Not abandoned, entirely, just decaying as they try to transition to the ubiquitous rustic, "art colony" and antique shop driven economy.  Great places for photographers and motorcycle people to visit.

The photo was taken with my old Nikon CoolPix 8700 in 2005, more proof, I think, that you don't have to have an expensive camera to get decent pictures.  Oh wait, I paid about $700 for the 8700 when it came out.  You can find them now on Ebay for about $75.  A couple of weeks ago I gave mine to my friend Keith who was still using a Nikon 990 from about 1998.  He's even more of a retro-grouch than I am.

6 comments:

bobskoot said...

Doug:

back then, Nikon made good digicams. The 8700 was a lot of $$, I had a few coolpix, 950, 980 and 990 too. they had the best macro mode. I had an Olympus 8080 which cost $1,300. and only 8 MP. Cameras are so cheap now as compared to the early ones.

I like to look at photos of old places and wonder what it must have been, back then . . .

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

No Name said...

Looks like the kinda place that's been used as a hideout once or twice.

Jac Brown said...

Doug,

Neat disintegrating old building. I love it.

If you keep showing pics of and talking about the "Capo", I'm going to get in trouble. I just have to keep reminding myself that 45 Hp is enough for me.

Doug said...

Bob, I shot my way through the Coolpix series from the 900 to the 8800, all great cameras, some even now.

Noname, You're right, it's surely a classic "If walls could talk" sort of place.

Jac, if 45 hp was enough for you would wouldn't have purchased the Z-bike. Admit it, you love horsepower, it's the most addictive legal drug. Caponords are disappearing, better grab a nice used one while you can.

Gary France said...

What is it with derelict buildings that we like so much? The hotel no doubt has many stories to tell of a more glamorous past, but I suppose putting a gleaming and shiny bike in front of something worn out creates an appeal all of its own. It’s a bit like us older riders – the juxtaposition of us against shiny chrome looks good to us! It is a great photo.

FLHX_Dave said...

Great shot!...as usual!

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison