~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Another from 1974

BMW R90S, somewhere on CA Highway 49, 1974
A simple shot of my R90S parked by the roadside next to some walls and large steel doors from the California Gold Rush period of the mid-19th century.  I was very interested for a long time in that colorful period of history in California and made many rides up and down Highway 49 which runs through the heart of Gold Rush country.  49 then was a fine, winding road surrounded by old oak trees, numerous creeks, and lots of history.  Signs of the Gold Rush days, from old buildings to massive scars on the land from hydraulic mining, were all to be seen if you knew where to look. What could be better?  I wish I'd taken more pictures then. Sadly, progress caught up with Highway 49 and the road was slowly widened and straightened in all the fun places and the ride became much less interesting from the motorcycling standpoint.

I note from the picture that I was using my new, blue waterproof duffel bag that turned out not to be waterproof.  I see the 1/2" thick dense foam mattress rolled up there; I was assured that it was better than an air mattress.  It wasn't, not even close.  Never take comfort advice from a hard core backpacker, they are all masochists.   My state of the art plastic military style canteen hangs on the side of the bike next to my rolled up, waxed cotton Belstaff jacket.  At the back of the heap is my warm and comfy sleeping bag -- which I still have.  I should probably wash it one of these days.

12 comments:

mq01 said...

ah 49, i wish i had pics of it in yrs past. its still a fun ride in spots, but nothing like it was.

and ps, backpackers, yes you're right, i WAS married to one, i agree...lol...

Canajun said...

Sadly I have very few pictures of my early riding days - too busy riding I suppose to stop and take pictures. Still, I wish I had more than I do.

Geoff James said...

Ahhhh.... waxed cotton Belstaff. After a few weeks' wear and an accumulation of airborne biological junk sticking to it, I smelt like a polecat! Not the best gear to attract chics :-)

bobskoot said...

Doug:

I have nearly no photos of my early days, but I still have my cotton oiled Belstaff riding jacket. Even the mention of its name brings up it's unique smell. It has been washed and hanging in the closet but I fear that the zippers are too far apart to connect.

I wouldn't mind having an R90 today

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Doug said...

Geoff and Bob, if you've still got an original old, waxed cotton Belstaff jacket hiding in the closet you might dig it out. Apparently vintage motorcycle clothing collectors will pay big dollars for the old things. Sadly, I sold mine long ago for much too little money. As always, I was just a little out of sync with fashion trends.

Geoff James said...

Doug:
Really? I'd have thought that they would have been condemned as a biological health hazard!

I don't have my original, but I do have one which is cut "bomber jacket" style, purchased in the 1980's. Same material, same smell but no doubt being only 30-odd years old, it's probably worth 30 cents tops!

bobskoot said...

Doug:

now you've got me excited to know I might have a collectible. I just need the R80gsPD to go along with it

mine looks something like this, but I have to go home and dig it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Belstaff-Trialmaster-Pro-Motorcycle-Jacket-Punk-/330528234696?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item4cf5049cc8

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

bobskoot said...

Doug:

it's me again . . . I found this one, look at the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/vtg-BELSTAFF-TRIALMASTER-WAX-MOTORCYCLE-JACKET-SMALL-36-/360335187481?pt=Men_s_Clothes&hash=item53e5a69e19

and here I was thinking that I should just throw it out

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Doug said...

Bob,

When you cash in on the stinky old jacket, don't forget my 15% consultation fee!

Geoff James said...

Doug and Bob:
Ye gods.... you weren't joking when you said there might be a bit of value in them!!!!!

FLHX_Dave said...

Old School...like it. Never been 49, but been to 74...only I was trying to smuggle Ghost Rider comics into the strict household I lived in. My early riding days were in the late 80's...there wasn't much I felt like taking pictures of back then.

Once again...you are one of the legends here in my book.

Doug said...

Dave, thanks. I'm no more special than you are or anyone who loves to ride for the sake of the ride, I just got started sooner and have just enough ego to blather on about it here.

Highway 49 is still worth doing, especially in the Spring or Fall. Slow down, explore the little side roads, the history is everywhere. Read up a little on the CA Gold Rush before you go and you'll be amazed at what you see.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison