~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

No Bikes, Just A Small Photo

Old timers flying an old timer. Model design from 1939.
Pilot, seated, slightly newer.
 The magazine is Model Aviation, the monthly publication of the Academy of Model Aeronautics.  Circulation is about 175,000 per month.  I shot the photo along with a bunch of others back in January and the fellow who writes the "Old Timers" column for MA liked the shot well enough to use it for his column in the magazine.   No money in this for me, my hobby remains a hobby, but it's nice to get some recognition for a photo as now National Geographic and Cycle World know for whom to look. 


I've had photos and images published before, three shots in a motorcycle parts catalog in 2001 and some infrared images of mine were widely published in Germany in 2004, but this is the first time I actually got name credit for an image.  Everything else I've had published up until now was shot for one business or another so my name got left off.  Fame and fortune have been illusive.

Someone once said that men in their 20s want sex, in their 30s and 40s want money, and in their 50s and 60s want recognition.   Money would have been useful but the recognition is nice.

4 comments:

FLHX_Dave said...

I always thought it would be cool to put out a coffee table book. Actually, you have improved my snaps by some of the things you have posted regarding the camera and what looks good.

Congrats!

Geoff James said...

Congratulations Doug and amazingly, that's something else we have in common! I used to fly both free flight models and control line team racers competitively when much younger. I must put some photos up in the near future.

Haven't done any modelling for over 3 decades, but still have a Fox 35x motor and a Tatone engine timer in the shed!

Webster World said...

That is really cool. Great feeling I know. Like my first printed editorial in print.

Drifter said...

Congratulations :)

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison