~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Tough Guy

My Internet friend Dean L., an avid BMW enthusiast to the point of possibly needing an intervention, was on his way from Arizona to the BMW Motorcycle Riders of America national rally up in Washington State.  Rolling along on his new BMW R1200GS Dean spotted an old BMW parked at a small town cafe.

Ever curious and always ready to make a new friend, Dean stopped to see who was traveling on the old Beemer. The bike was a 1955 R26. The R26 has a 250cc single cylinder four stroke engine that produces about 15 horsepower.   The Beemer was heavily loaded, and as it happened, on it's way from New York to the same rally to which Dean was headed in Washington.   How tough do you have to be to ride a loaded down 250cc BMW across the USA?

From Dean: "Went inside the cafe and found the neatest guy. He is 75 year old Ray Terwilliger riding cross country to the rally from Eden, New York just under Buffalo. A super guy that rides all over the country... ...He looked and acted in great shape... ...especially since he had 15 inches of his lower colon removed 3 weeks ago to remove a small cancer, they got it all and he says that he feels great."


Anyone here think they are as tough a rider as Ray Terwilliger?  Not me.  Helmets off to Ray T. You sir, are a rider of the first order!

More here where Ray found a bit of TV fame after he arrived at the rally: KOHD TV

15 comments:

Canajun said...

Great story.

B.B. said...

Wow! What a great story! Thanks for making my Monday morning!

Gabe Scofield said...

Wow...I'm still amazed that he can even operate that motorcycle with that massive tank bag attached!

mrs rc said...

now that guy has got balls of steel! amazing! :-)

mq01 said...

fabulous!!! i can only hope to be like him :) hey, inquiring minds, so are they riding together the remainder of the trip to the rally?

FLHX_Dave said...

That is exactly what I'm shooting for!...He's the goal!

Someday that is gonna' be me...but I might have to get a BMW.

Willy D said...

Would I try it? Yep. Would I make it? Probably not.

Cynthia Q. said...

Ray is one cool dude! Helmets, er, Hats off to him!

Webster World said...

One can only wish to be that tough.

Drifter said...

Inspiration!

Bob said...

Very cool - especially since that is my Uncle Ray! He's been riding forever, with many NY to FL trips, and even some NY to AK.

Doug said...

Bob, thanks for stopping by. Your Uncle Ray has made quite a hit here and on some motorcycle forums. All of us wonder when we'll be too old to ride and your uncle gives hope that we'll never be too old.

Lisa Kerr said...

Glad you are still riding Uncle Ray! <3

jim said...

I just meet Ray, he truly is a great guy. I live Florida and came up to Buffalo for a vacation. Being new to the cycle world, I decided to trailer my 88 K100 because I didn't think I could make the long ride. After reaching my destination I unloaded the bike and took it for a ride, only making it 400 yards. The bike stalled and I didn't even know where to begin. I told a friend what happened and he gave me Ray's name. I gave Ray a call this afternoon and he told me to bring it over so he could take a look at it. After a little trouble shooting he found I had a busted fuel line inside the tank. Ray drove me to the parts store and I bought a new one and we had it running minutes later. It wasn't until after we loaded the bike back on the trailer he ask who I got his name from. It's rare you meet someone who would open his home and spend his time to help a complete stranger. Thanks again Ray
Jim

Doug said...

Jim,

Thanks for passing along a great story and one that illustrates one of the best things about motorcycling.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison