~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Monday, April 19, 2010

"The Wild One" revisited


When my wife and I got married in 2005 she knew little about motorcycles except what she'd experienced during our very brief courtship. After it was too late and we were hitched I set about corrup....I mean educating her about motorcycles and motorcycling in general.

As part of her continuing motorcycle education, for Christmas I got her a little stocking stuffer in the form of a DVD copy of the old Marlon Brando movie "The Wild One." No doubt most all of you have seen the movie at some point or another so I'll spare you the re-telling.  If you have not seen it you should.  It's about 50% responsible for the image that still pervades motorcycling today.

I hadn't seen the movie in decades and then that would have been on grainy, late night TV. Watching it again via the Blu-Ray DVD player and on the big screen TV the movie proved to be better and more fun than I remembered. The black and white cinematography was just so very good in some scenes.

Yes, some of the dialog and scenes seem corny now: 50's hipster cliches, stilted dialog, and what we now would see sixty years later as stereotypical characters.  It was still great fun to watch, great fun to try and pick out the brands of bikes, the types of riding gear used or not, and also the undercurrent of...dare I say it? Lust! No wonder movie goers were wide eyed and slightly scandalized in 1950.

I snipped out a bit of a scene that I thought was one of the best in the movie even if not one of the most famous. "Johnny's girl" comes to terms with her first motorcycling experience and I'd like to think not unlike the way my wife did.  Ok, just dreaming a little on that last part.  So I submit for your clicking and approval, a bit of 1950s         Moto lust

1 comment:

DenK said...

...and nobody wore a helmet. I like the part where the towns people catch up with Johnny and haul him away for a good beating. They tear him off the bike then carefully lay it down. (That's cause it was Marlon's personal Triumph and nobody wanted to anger the future Godfather.)

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison