~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Monday, December 07, 2009

Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

The title of this entry is a quote from my old friend Keith. He's a few years ahead of me on the highway of life and I think we're having a race to see who's body falls apart first and I think I'm winning.

The poor Kaw 900 has been sitting for three weeks now while I have once again been brought up short in my meanderings by something called adhesive capsulitis, or as we laymen call it, a screwed up shoulder. In short, I have not been able to bend my right arm around behind me enough to put on a jacket let along heft on my old fashion heavy weight leather jacket.

Right in the heart of the best Fall riding weather I can't get my leather jacket on, even putting on a windbreaker is painful. Oh, I could get the leather jacket on if someone pushed my arm far enough around for me but then I'd have a hard time getting on the bike when I was passed out on the floor from the pain. A few years ago I had the AC thing in my left shoulder and got over it with a trip to the doc, a needle full of cortisone in the shoulder and a few weeks of some self-inflicted and painful physical therapy. Working on curing the right shoulder now but in the mean time the bike sits. One more trip to the doc next week and I'm going for a ride no matter what. It sucks getting old.

7 comments:

D. Brent Miller said...

I hate it when this happens. I had shoulder surgery in 2005 and had to wait two months to get back on the bike and by that time, winter had arrived. The physical therapy was painful, but I pushed through it to the amazement of the doc. Today, I'm 99%, not the "at best 80%" that he predicted.

Keep at it Doug. You can do it.

Canajun said...

Unfortunately I'm VERY familiar with adhesive capsulitis, having had it in both shoulders. The first time it took 9 months to get back full mobility; the second time almost 12 months. So I know your pain and hope you get through it soon. Good luck.

Jac Brown said...

What ever you do, don't give into the pain. Let it knock you down, as you don't have much choice in that, but make sure you get back up.

I think my Dad is a great example for us to emulate. At 89, he hurts with arthritis, but plays golf all summer and goes to the health club 5 times a week to work out and chat up the pretty ladies.

FLHX_Dave said...

Doug, this is why I stay mentally 12...I leave the getting old crap to the pros...although...I hear popping and cracking every morning more and more. I used to think it was the sound of me pulling my head out of my ass...I dunno about that anymore.

Here's some useless advice. "If you didn't know how old you are...how old would you think you were?" and...we all owe it to ourselves to be in the best shape possible for our age....yup.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

I hope your bum shoulder doesn't keep you out of the saddle too long. You aint that old. When the shoulder is fixed, you'l be riding again.

Doug K. said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys. What bugs me isn't the pain, been hurt lots worse than this, but the pain is sharp and in *just* the right spot to limit my fun. Missing three weeks of beautiful riding weather is what really sucks. Anyway, been to the doc again and the shoulder is loosening up and I got my jacket on today and it only hurt a lot so I'm going for a ride somewhere in the next few days.

mq01 said...

ive beaten up my body so much over the yrs that i feel it ALL very well now ;) im hoping that you managed to get out for a ride. happy holidays to you and yours Doug.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison