~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Legal Ruckus

The Mighty Ruckus has left the building. With the 50cc Ruckus gone there will be no more midnight rides with the wife burning up the country roads surrounding our little town. No more edging ever closer to being a 1%er and blasting down another stretch of lonely highway with 'Born To Be Wild" raging from her I-Pod headphones as the Ruckus engine thunders it's menacing four stroke music at the still night. No more infuriating local farmers with a moonlight cow tipping raid. The Ruckus can truly bring out a person's wilder, darker side.


In days gone by I have sold bikes to some interesting characters including a dark, menacing, fellow who bought my Harley, paid for it all in wrinkled $20 bills, and told me he was a professional magician. "I make things disappear" he said looking me straight in the eye. Uh..yeah...ride safe...
'86 H-D FXST-C Softail Custom brought a big stack of 20's

Today the Ruckus sale hit the other end of the public spectrum; we sold it to a judge. No, not a beauty contest judge or county fair livestock judge, or even someone as lofty as a vintage bike show judge. Mark is the kind of judge who you get to see when you've transgressed in some fashion that got you noticed by da cops.

I'd never had a conversation with a judge on my own turf before. Interesting experience. In the course of trading greenbacks and paperwork for the Ruckus our conversation turned to you rascals out there who like to exceed the posted speed limit in some flagrant and excessive fashion and thereby wind up in court. I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out how fast some of you ride on public roads! (...he said glancing around watching for an incoming lightning bolt).

I cannot divulge the privileged communication between His Honor and I or anything I may have admitted to now that the statue of limitations have run out except to say that he takes a dim view of traveling at "warp factor 5" on the public roads. Dim as in dim like a poorly lit jail cell. Word to the wise: The fact that you race on the track and your sport bike is safe and stable at 135 mph will not be a winning argument in his court.

After the Ruckus left to begin it's new life on the straight and narrow path I began to ponder how to once again shuffle things around in the garage. With the way bikes come and go here at the palatial 40on2 estate I feel sometimes like my real hobby is rearranging the garage to make more room for whatever comes next or cleaning up the mess from the last adventure. This afternoon I moved the TW200 into the slot vacated by the Ruckus so once again I can walk directly through the garage and open the garage door without squeezing by anything or tearing a good shirt or pair of pants on sharp metal. Hopefully the garage will stay in it's present configuration for a while although I do have this unseemly urge to buy a clapped out Yamaha XS650 and build a bobber. Say what?


I know, it's not a Yamaha 650

I've never built a custom bike of any sort before, it would be a new experience and who knows, I could even take up smoking unfiltered cigarettes, get a tattoo, slick back my hair, get a 60's vintage metal flake helmet, and fully embrace the raw edged bobber kulture that has emerged on the motorcycle scene in the last couple of years. It appeals to my sense of rebellion, of non-conformity, and there is no way to run at 135 mph on a hard tail bobber as my spine and kidneys would disintegrate long before that speed was reached.

The wife was going to spend the Ruckus money on motorhome stuff but the money is just sitting there on the counter tonight gathering dust and I saw a Yamaha 650 on Craig's List the other day. A real bad boy would go for it and hope for forgiveness later or maybe just laugh a careless, devil-may-care laugh and take off down the highway on his new bobber to go tip cows or whatever it is that wild men do these days.

9 comments:

Doug K. said...

Note to self: Next time take money, then post blog entry.

D. Brent Miller said...

You guys are so funny! I wish we could have met up while I was in Mesa. Oh, well. Next time.

Brent

Canajun said...

Great post. If I didn't know better I'd think you lived up here in our neck of the woods, what with all the tipped-over cows in the local fields and the mighty roar of 50cc engines 24 hours a day. Although come to think of it, those could be chainsaws.
And as for the comments, as my German father-in-law used to say, "Too soon old, too late smart".
(Word verification: domented. Spelling mistake?)

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Great post. Really liked the comments. You made me smile yet once again.

mq01 said...

great stuff. well...is that bobber still for sale??? :)

Lucky said...

Doug - Great post, as usual. About the XS650 bobber project - go for it! But you might want to consider its four cylinder brother, the XJ. I bought an '82 XJ650RJ Seca a few months ago and it's mucho fun. Except now its parts are spread out all over the garage floor as I carefully prepare its rebirth.

Cheers,
Lucky

fuzzygalore said...

How someone could let the greatness that is the Ruckus get away, I do not know :o) Awesome post.

I've lurked around your place here for some time now and just want to say you have a great blog.

Take Care!

Nigel Cox said...

Hi Doug

Like Lucky, I too have acquired an XJ650 Maxim this year... what a wonderful weapon. Think you might like it too!

Cheers
Nigel

Doug K. said...

Nigel, congrats on the XJ. My very first bike was a Yamaha and I've always been partial to the brand. The old style VMax remains on my list of "Should have bought one" bikes along with the XS650.

Doug

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison