~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Perseverance Or Just Too Dumb To Give Up?

2004: I was riding a 2003 Kawasaki 1600 Classic

Today marks the 5th anniversary for Forty Years On Two Wheels and as with each past anniversary I'm slightly amazed that the blog is still here and still active. I think I write that every year. That I did not let 40on2 go orphan years ago must be testimony to my near mystical ability to find things about which to blather on, to occasionally say something useful, and to fill in the gaps with pictures or cartoons.

Over at Copyblogger.com Jonathan Morrow wrote "Now great is no longer good enough. The Web is full of so much remarkable content that bloggers don't have enough time to read it all, much less link to it."

At the NY Times website they note "According to a 2008 survey by Technorati, which runs a search engine for blogs, only 7.4 million out of the 133 million blogs the company tracks had been updated in the past 120 days. That translates to 95 percent of blogs being essentially abandoned, left to lie fallow on the Web, where they become public remnants of a dream — or at least an ambition — unfulfilled." [my bold]. Guess I've beat the odds here.


There are many, many excellent motorcycle blogs out there and a goodly number of them are better than this one. By excellent I don't mean necessarily blogs with the fanciest graphics or the snazziest pictures or the most links or with famous names attached to them but excellent in that the people writing those blogs are putting together something that is an honest expression of themselves and what is important to them about motorcycles (or scooters). Those are my favorites.

I sometimes I go through 40on2 reading old posts, looking things over, fixing the odd typo on a three year old post, seeing how 40on2 has changed or how little it's changed and I think "Darn, in total this is all amazingly good. I'm proud of myself." Yes, 'tis true, humility is my greatest virtue.

Other times though I wonder what kind of fool I am to spend the time, the effort, and take the emotional risk to plunk stuff out here for the world to see and with little to no chance of reward beyond self-satisfaction and the kind comments from the regular readers. I thank you all for your time spent reading 40on2, your comments, and encouragement. They do make a difference.

Unrelated: I still miss the look and the sound of my Aprilia Falco. I don't miss the clip-ons.


5 comments:

mrs rc said...

Congrats on the 5-year mark. I certainly haven't been arount the blogosphere that long, but I've always enjoyed your wit and wisdom. Things certainly have changed in that time - just think of the bikes you (and your lovely wife) have gone through! Could you have imagined back then the changes that you see today?

Five years ago I had never ridden a motorcycle (even as a passenger), and I hadn't even MET my husband yet! Wow, how time flies!

Word vierifcation "acura" - are they trying to tell me something (I do need a new car)? LOL

Mr. Motorcycle said...

It's great to see you have made it 5 years! Congrats. on that. It is a true accomplishment in my book. I can attest for just about all of us,that those first few months are really easy. There is so much stuff in our heads just waiting to get out that we rarely, to never have a lack of post, or want. It is hard at times to put something together that you feel is worthy of posting. sometimes just filler is hard to come by, yet we don't want to let the blog die, because there is always a time when that spectacular thing comes along, and then we have that special place we can share it with the world, our friends, and the regular readers.

So thanks for sticking it out. Yours is truly one worth the read.

FLHX_Dave said...

Hey Doug. You have a great blog as far as I am concerned. You just say what you gotta say.

You wanna hear a waste of time? Spending a decade really getting good at something only to be told that it's no longer a useful skillset.

Speaking truth, your mind and your thoughts with others is never a waste of time. You are considered the O.G. pimpin' mac daddy of the motorcycle blogosphere here.

Congrats on the 5 years. If this was a business venture you would be in the black right about now. Let no one dare say the Dougster is not a biker. I'll argue that.

You have given me more than one good roar. If nothing else satisfies you regarding the five years at least give yourself a pat on the back for making me laugh.

mq01 said...

congratulations on 5 years. and thank you for all of the great posts. i know i enjoy reading them!!!

Doug K. said...

Thanks for the comments, gang.

Dave,

"You are considered the O.G. pimpin' mac daddy of the motorcycle blogosphere here."

I'm going to guess that's a good thing. I'm afraid I'm not the hep cat I once was but for what it's worth, I think you guy's blogs are the bee's knees.

Doug

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison