~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Steve McQueen's Husqvarna Resurfaces

I received and e-mail from Rob Phillips quite a while back. He had seen the old Instamatic photos of Steve MCqueen in my 2007 blog entry "Instamatic Memories". Rob had just acquired what he believed to a Husqvarna 400 Cross motorcross bike once belonging to Steve McQueen, maybe even the very one that McQueen had ridden in the Movie "On Any Sunday" or seen in my snapshots of 39 years ago. Rob was very curious to know if I had any additional or better pictures of McQueen's bike at the race. Sadly, no. I do have some Super-8 movies though that may or may not have McQueen in them. I need to get them digitized and see what I can see.



Rob has completed the restoration of the Husky and it's now on display down in San Diego. More info and the complete article on the bike over at Steve McQueen On-line. Thanks, Rob, for the link to the article. I promise that I won't be a flake forever, I will digitize my Super-8 film from the Elsinore Grand Prix. You'll be the first to get a copy. You just have to let me ride Steve's bike once. ;-)




3 comments:

Jac Brown said...

Can't wait to see that old video!

McQueen bikes seems to be popping up everywhere. kneeslider.com has a story about Metisse Desert Racer replicas being built. Cool.

FLHX_Dave said...

Cool! Hey. I have visited the San Diego museum and I think I have a picture of the bike! How long ago did he have it put in there? Now I am gonna have to go through my pictures and see if I have it.

Doug K. said...

Jac, somehow getting my act together to do the transfer to digital of the old film is turning into the never ending promise. I actually had the film transferred to video tape years ago and now I can't find the tape!

Dave,

I believe the bike just went to the museum in recent weeks. Now you have a good excuse to go back.

Doug

Doug

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison