~Since 2004~
A site about memories, thoughts, photos, and unrepentant opinions about motorcycles and motorcycling after four decades of twisting the throttle.

Monday, August 04, 2008

A Worthy Ride

As The Wife pours over cruise ship brochures humming happily I am dispiritedly browsing Craig's List and Cycle Trader looking for some sort of motorized two-wheeled vehicle commensurate with my experience, riding preferences, need for speed, general reputation as a motorcycle enthusiast, and worse...my budget. Since my motorcycle budget is now slightly less than what the average Harley owner spends on beer in a month or the average BMW owner spends on one tune-up it is mighty slim pickin's for ol' Doug. No matter, sometimes the search is half the fun and I try to be open to new directions and ideas about what constitutes motorcycle riding fun. Still, I have my standards.




I'd rather have the Heinkel scooter with the sidecar.

6 comments:

D. Brent Miller said...

Suzuki V-Strom DL650. I can't believe it's only a 650 and it runs with the big boys. It's inexpensive, lots of after-market accessories available, and gets fantastic gas mileage. I'm getting 60 mpg! You can buy three for the price of one new Gold Wing.

Brent

Jac Brown said...

Here you go. You probably need a good road trip to the Mid West.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362522

Doug K. said...

Brent, the V-Strom in either size is a great bike (my baby brother has the DL1000 and loves it). Too much like the recently departed Caponord though (the DL, not my brother). A bike more esoteric is needed.

Jac, been there, done that back in 2001 except that is was new a new Concours not a used one. I wouldn't mind another Concours as it is another great all around bike like the V-Strom or KLR. If I could nab a really nice one at the right price it could happen. Still, I keep thinking that an R90/6 is the way to go.

Doug

FLHX_Dave said...

Well, if you are looking for a Honda CM400, two banger in good condition I have a friend looking to part with it for $900 bucks. (not sure if that is a good deal or not. heh, it's got two wheels Doug!)

How about that new Aprilia Mana? I actually really dig this bike.

Lucky said...

Gotta agree with Brent. Get the V-Strom. Of course, I'd favour the bulletproof and frugal 650 over its larger brother. But then again, you may want to get a DL1000 as it is rumoured to be discontinued soon... which would make it a collector's item, no?

Cheers,
Lucky

"Joker" said...

I don't know if I'd be considered your "average Harley rider," but I do know that if your budget is near what I spend on beer in a month, I expect to see a post soon about the really nice new bike you bought.

Popular Posts

Search This Site

"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour." - T.E. Lawrence



An Important reminder from the past:
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison